Australia’s infrastructure landscape has experienced revolutionary change over the last twenty years.
Underpinned by dynamic population growth, continued urbanisation, demand for freight and passenger transport, and the ongoing need for energy and water security, our infrastructure landscape is a complex mix of new and ageing structures.
The preservation, maintenance and continued development of new technologies for this infrastructure present substantial challenges with estimates suggesting that corrosion may be costing the Australian economy more than $30 billion each year, or a staggering 2–3 % of GDP.
The need to develop smarter maintenance technologies and new research solutions for corrosion and infrastructure durability is paramount and a demanding endeavour for researchers, industry and governments.
The Australian Centre for Infrastructure Durability (ACID) provides an integrated, national platform for industry across the key sectors of oil and gas, mining, transport and structures, defence and aerospace, and water and desalination to connect with leading researchers. It seeks to harness the resources and expertise of key universities to assist industry to address its critical needs and at the same time facilitate growth in the collective university research capability in this field in Australia to promote industry growth.
Deakin University is supporting the operation and development of ACID and providing management, business development and administrative support.
A Collaboration Council, comprised of participating Universities, is being established to facilitate optimum integration and progression.
ACID will work in close collaboration with Industry to deliver targeted research and provide improved access to facilities that will foster the development of technologies, strategies, processes and materials to ensure the optimal durability of existing and new Australian infrastructure.
ACID’s Primary Objective is to connect industry partners with leading researchers and facilities concerned with corrosion prevention and materials durability to explore new solutions and develop technology and educational programs to deliver:
ACID will achieve its key strategy objectives by:
- Fostering collaboration between key universities to provide a more cohesive and comprehensive research capability for industry
- Increasing industry awareness of university capabilities and improving access to research through the provision of an efficient platform for engagement
- Facilitating better access for industry to the unique laboratory facilities and equipment available at universities and encouraging increased industry usage of these resources
- Striving to expand industry involvement in critical research programs within collaborating universities
- Seeking additional funding and support for ACID through governments, industry and universities to increase research capabilities and value for industry.
Join ACID as an Industry Member and receive a range of membership benefits, including:
• Receiving our quarterly e-newsletter
• Networking opportunities with research professionals
• Opportunities to attend ACID functions
Base level membership is free.
Please fill out the fields below: